Getting Started at the VCC -- Curling Etiquette
Curling is a social game. The number one rule is to have fun!
- Shake hands before and after each game.
- Sweepers should be between the two hog lines when an opponent is delivering a stone and remain still.
- Only two people should be on the backboards behind the house for any team at any time.
- Do not rest your hands and knees on the ice.
- Call your own fouls (i.e. burned stones).
- If you cannot find a spare and your team must default, it is the skip's responsibility to contact the skip of the opposing team.
Don't delay the game. Teams can complete all 8 ends of play if:
- All players are on the ice and ready to play at the start time;
- The next curler to deliver gets in the hack, ready for their shot as soon as the opponent's stone has cleared the near hog line;
- Skips contemplate their next call while the opponent's stone is in motion; and
- After an end is completed, the first Lead player prepares to deliver the first stone while the other players clear the stones from the house.